Friday, August 26, 2011

Oh where is my toothbrush


Mountain Bike Riders are a strange breed. We are, thrill seekers, always looking for a good time and something to remember. Sometimes the most memorable trips are the one’s that begin with something forgotten. Your multi tool, patch kit, spare tube. it can say a lot about the type of rider by what you carry. Take myself for example. I carry a pack full useless stuff ! I came to this realization today, when I searched through my bag on a mission to find my toothbrush.

Many Riders choose not to use any bag. If they do, they use a under the seat type o deal. XC or DH days, I bring my trusty Dakine Nomad. Perfect for all occasions! Please don’t judge my bag by the full face straps on the back. Here is what I have in my sack. I have not added or taken anything out. this list was created real time as I extracted the entrails of my bag.

• Gorilla Pod “flexy Cam mount”
• 1 pair Smith sunglasses and bag
• SRAM 9speed powerlink
• Misc metric bolts (3)
• 1 Quarter “25 cents”
• 4 -2.5” wood screws. “left over from building a trail feature”
• 5-16 penny nails “same as above”
• Demon Dirt Hanky
• 2 beverage coozies “one for me and one to share!”
• Shock pump
• 2 patch kits “ one park tool and one G.I.
• Small adjustable wrench
• 2.1-2.35 kenda tube
• 2 tire levers
• 14” section of rubber tubing. “your guess is as good as mine”
• Topeak Mountain Morph pump “the best mobile pump ever”
• 5 large zip ties
• some Luna chews and camelback elixir tabs
• Park tool MTB-3 multi tool
• A ball cap. SRAM or STIHL
• Also My toothbrush which I did find

I will sub in and out some other fun bits depending on season, bike, and length of ride. On longer riders I will add a small first aid kit, and more food. As a Flight Crew Member I always try and bring my GoPro, memory cards and 1 or 2 small cams. Every ride is different and every ride can tell a story if you take the time to capture it. When weather may be a factor I have a number of different rain shells and layers I may bring. Like I said this is no definitive list. It happens to be what was in my bag right now. Every riders pack is unique. They will range in size, and preparedness. Some bags may have the tools to fix any mechanical on any trail. Some have the tools to keep you alive for days. And some very lucky packs, will hold the tools to fight tooth decay, and the gum disease known as gingivitis.

Want to know more about what other riders take along in their bags? Check my friend and fellow Airborne Flight Crew Member Jerry Hazard. Click me and I will take you to Jerry's Bag. Better Yet, if you have something strange or useful please let me know about it and why you use it.












3 comments:

  1. kudos for not leaving extra screws on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot duct tape! That stuff has saved me so many times on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. It's a good thing that, after all the stuff you packed, you still didn't forget about your toothbrush. I always make a list of all the things I need to pack so I don't miss brining anything. I agree with Brent. Duct tape is as important as the stuff you mentioned. ;)

    Bobby Schaeffer

    ReplyDelete