Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Solitude

Solitude

This is what Wikipedia says about solitude.

Solitude is a state of seclusion or isolation, i.e., lack of contact with people. It may stem from bad relationships, deliberate choice, infectious disease, mental disorders, neurological disorders or circumstances of employment or situation (see castaway).

I count my rides with friends high on my list of important things in my life. If you are not a mountain biker I doubt you will understand the bonds you can form while toiling up a rather ling climb, or the freedom you feel on a adrenalin pumping descent. The bonds go beyond the normal banter of friends, and the curtsy you extend to an acquaintance. It’s important to realize the importance of a ride with friends, and why it makes this sport so important to so many people. But a group ride is not always what you need. Sometimes you need to be alone.

I try to ride more often than not. Many of my rides are accompanied by friends and co workers. It’s something I love to share. But sometimes I need to go at it alone. In the peace and quiet of my own mind. There is something about the ticking of the freehub, and the sound of my tires over loam and roots. The solitude frees me to think, get lost in my own mind and, de compress. This kind of solitude was not inflicted by a bad relationship, infectious disease, or a neurological disorder. It is a self imposed solitude. On the loan rides, I always seem to see more colors, and the air almost smells sweeter. I take the time to look at this creation and really appreciate what I have been given as a playground. Toiling up a long climb. I appreciate the silence and I can focus on my task as I try to beat my personal best. And shredding down the ling descent is not rushed, I can take the time and enjoy the flow. I don’t have to show off or try and hot dog down the mountain. Just get in the grove and enjoy the simple harmony of 2 wheels on dirt.

The solitude of a ride alone is something I had to grow to enjoy. I think it is an important part of a healthy life in the saddle. We all need a little time to unwind, and re connect with the most primal aspects of a ride. I still need my friends, to ride with me. In fact mountain biking would be lost to me without them. The peace of a ride alone will always be an important part of my life. It’s my hard line connection to the sport I love. It keeps my mind fresh, and my rides with meaning. Sometimes I need the solitude just to compete with myself. So pick up that bike, and go out alone. Spend that time with yourself and re connect.

I will leave this blog in the words of one of the greatest authors in the world. Dr seuss.

“I’m afraid that some times you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ‘cause you’ll play against you. Dr Seuss”

No comments:

Post a Comment