Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Scene

The scene around my local trails is one mirrored by, trail heads and parking lots all over the Us, and maybe the world. Cars, trucks, mini vans, and work vans. The sport of mountain biking bridges all Genders, races, and ages. Our noble sport does not put limitations on the people that want to be involved. I think the melting pot type attitude is what creates the atmosphere I love so much.

One of the local trail heads I frequent on a multi day basis is called Carvins Cove. Or just “The Cove”. On any given day, rain or shine, hot or cold, you will meet someone at the lot. The salt of the earth come to this location to dawn the lycra, baggies, full face, or XC lid. Maybe it is just the southern hospitality, but on many group rides new people tag on. They may be new to the area, or just passing through. It is always a pleasure to show this Gem of the Blueridge to fresh tires. It’s that hospitality that, on many occasions, has meant the difference in me walking, or riding back to my car. My trails are filled with locals that are willing to give the shirt off their back just to make sure you get the most out of your ride. I had one such experience in my Mountain bike youth. Inexperience and naivety, conspired to create a ride that put me miles away from my car in the dark and without food water or a phone. I must admit I am not proud or that experience, but it is one I have grown from. My saving grace was a very helpful rider by the name of John. I never saw him again, but he saved me a load of trouble. He had some water, a fresh tube, and a light to guide us home. Back at the car, a cold beverage was waiting as well as some advice. “Pack for the worst, and hope for the best”. Words that have been muttered all over through time. They were words that spoke to me and words I have never forgotten. Whenever I am out and pop a tube, or see someone walking back on the trail I always think back to that experience. Because of “John’s” help I try and pay it forward. Spinning up and down the hills on my Airborne, I always keep an eye and a ear out for other riders. Weather it is to help someone our with a trailside fix or just catch up with someone you have lost touch with. That’s what makes our little cross section of humanity so special. And also why we look out for one another. It’s like no other sport I know. We are all in competition with ourselves, but part of a greater whole.

It is the “John’s” of the world that make me appreciate the scene at my local trail heads. The baggies and the lycra mixing. Sharing a post ride beverage, and a word about the day. It does not matter if you ride a Wal-Mart special, or a $5000 carbon race bike. If you are at the Cove, you are welcome. You are part of the scene and the fabric of the mountain community. So Pack for the worst, and hope for the best. Keep an extra trail map in the boot of your car, share that brew with a new friend met in the lot. Jump in your cars, trucks and mini van, and bring the kids with you. It’s the fuel our sport needs to keep it alive. I will see you at the trailhead.

1 comment:

  1. For sure! At any time on our local hot spot known as the "Gulch" (sort a central park of mtb action for the area) - you will Wal-Gooses mixed with the Fishers, Specialized and Moots. Single speeds and 29'ers (and the combo of both), big rig fr bikes and even a dh ride once in a while. And the most common phrase uttered other than "hello" is "do you have everything you need". MTB'ing bridges so many gaps, and I'm so glad to help mix it up!

    ReplyDelete