Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall

When I was younger I hated the fall. The long shadows, and the cool wind blowing down the valley always made me feel blue. I hated the fall colors and the stupid back to school sales. All that meant to me was that I would have to go back to school. The thought of sitting indoors on a beautiful day made me sick. Fall in Va always came with a bit of rain. Not enough to ruin any plans but just enough to be annoying. As fall drags on, short sleeves and shorts turn in to flannel and jeans. The wind gets more of a bite, and the days grow way to short. By the time I was home from school, and scrawled down some nonsense as a substitute for my English homework, it would be too dark to do anything. The only thing left for me outside was dead leaves and the low sun in the sky.

Summer used to be the only season that mattered to me. As I get older I can appreciate them all in turn, fall epically. These days I look forward to the cool breeze. I put on my jeans and flannel, and wrench on my bike. I clean the mud that spatters the down tube, and shine up my Airborne after a long refreshing ride. It’s funny how our tastes change over the years. Like a kid who hates his veggies, only to find out how amazing green beans taste with some texas pete. Thoughts of sitting inside on a beautiful day still make me queasy. But now there is much more than dead leaves and a low sun.

Even now 15 years later, my memory can be triggered when I see long shadows, or when the wind blows dead leaves out of the trees. Only now the hate I had for the fall has shrunk away. Kind of like the grinch’s heart. Now that little nugget of hate is kept at bay, with my bike. The long shadows and cool wind of fall no longer make me mad. They refresh me like nothing else can. Ripping through trails you can almost feel the change happening. The air calms the burn in your lungs, and the colors on the trees are better than any HD TV I could be watching. Even the sounds of riding changes. The dirt gets cool and moist from the fall sprinkles that come down the valley. The air seems to flow through the trees easier than the stuffy, hot summer air. The dirt gets tacky in all the right places, and a new dimension opens when wet leaves are added to your favorite corners. Instead of a short sleeved jersey and some baggies, it’s knee warmers and merino wool. The mornings are crisp, and the nights beg for a wood fire. The fall brings out the best in the mountain bike world. Spring may be a time of excitement, new products and brand launches. The trails are clogged with spastic riders itchy from a long winter of frozen night rides. The fall is a trail riders season. A time to enjoy the few rides you have left before the big chill sets in. The leaves may be falling but there is no shortage of beauty on the trails. UCI Dh is done for the season, interbike has crept by and all the gravity parks are planning for winter. We don’t need that stuff in the fall. Mother nature is throwing a party of Her own.

I no longer feel blue when fall blows in. blue jeans and flannel are now a comfort to me instead of a slap in the face. The days are short but sweet. The colors don’t look dead to me anymore. The cool wind is a welcome relief, and the long shadows signal an urgency to enjoy the days to the fullness. Welcome back fall. It’s good to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment