Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Family Feud

5:30pm December 18th I have just finished a pretty amazing ride. It wasn’t long, or particularly grueling. But it was just what I needed. I pasted my legs with a fresh coating of mud, I drenched myself in sweat and I got a good 12 miles of single track in. The weather was perfect, the trails were wacky tacky, and my Zeppelin was working like a champ. Driving home my wife calls to say my parents are going to pop over for a few minutes. What happens next is a complete shock. And before I go on let me back up and give you some background on my father and growing up on a farm.

My dad has owned horses from most of my life. He puts his blood sweat and hard earned cash into all his furry friends. I have grown up with them learned to ride them, feed them saddle and tack them. I know how to clean hove’s, I know which ones are safe to feed with your hands, and I know which ones like to bite. I myself have a fondness for them and regularly visit them at “The Farm” which is about 2 miles from my house. If there is one thing my dad lives for it is riding. He regularly rides his horses on anything from a few hours to multiple day rides. Recently he took a day trip to Douthat state park. A great riding, and hiking location that is open to horse travel about 30 min from the farm. The repercussion of this ride is what greeted me when I walked in the door.

“Me” Hey Dad, Hey Mom……

“Dad” Hey Sprocket Fairy…….

“Me” Oooookay what was that for?.....

”Dad” You bikers are not easy to work with on the trail….

The ensuing conversation was kind of a back and forth about horses and bikers. I could not believe my Dad of all people would act this way. He was a little upset with the action of a MTB rider he met on the trail. Trail edict says bikers yield to horse riders. This is a rule I understand and agree with. Horses are living breathing animals with thoughts and fears. They can easily throw a rider or hurt someone if you spook one. Growing up with horses I have had the pleasure of being thrown multiple times. The smart thing to do as a bike rider is to stop and ask the horse rider what they would like you to do. Stay off the trail, let them pass. Or let them move so you can pass. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this. It is a pain, and it’s something I would rather not have to worry about, but they are entitled to the land just like we are. This particular biker did that. But then continued to harass my father about other issues. My Dad claims he made a debate about the damage a horse does to the trails, the mess a horse leaves behind and how it’s not polite to leave poo on the trail. “Us mountain bikers don’t take a crap on the trail”. I love my Dad very much. I tell him every time I see him. But the way he was attacking mountain biking got to me. First I start telling him how it is a pain to be riding down a trail only to run over a juicy cleveland steemer sitting in the middle of the trail. I have personally gotten horse poo-juice in my mouth. “I am a mouth breather” And it tastes like it smells. It gets on your bike, your clothes and all over everything. All he had to say was this “You have things on your bike called handlebars, use them!” That’s not the point. I don’t think I should have to dodge poo on the trail. You can’t leave dog poo wherever you want, so why is horse poo ok to leave out on the trail? This was a question he was not able to defend. Next I moved onto how his horses destroy the trails I spend so long to help create. After storms I get off my bike, clean away debris. I dig trenches to get standing water off the trail. I throw dirt on low spots, armor the trail and move trees when they fall down. What help do horse owners provide to the trail. I have never seen them out on a work day. And I would know, because I am there. After that rant I started gaining a little ground back on my Dad. I start in on the ever popular weight issue and differences in a bike and a horse. He never really gave up. He still thinks that Bike riders as a whole are hard to deal with but after sitting and talking about this for around an hour, he conceded that there are issues on both sides. I hate to admit that he is right. I think a large amount of the cycling public does not know how to deal with a 1200lb horse. I think even less of the horse riding public know how to deal with “spandex wearing sprocket fairies.” To really put this problem to rest people need to be educated. I think 90% of the riders out there care and respect any trail users. There are going to be a$$holes in any crowd, including mountainbiking. I think this problem stems from a few guys that really resent what horse riding is all about. They confront horse riders and ruin it for the rest of us. I personally try and give them as much courtesy as I can. It does not make up for the lack of respect by some of our 2wheeled brethren, but I think it helps. He agreed that there was the same issue on the horse side as well. I think that this issue like so many other is due to a lack of education, and or understanding. Sure there are some things we both need to work on. In the end my Dad and I were able to hug it out. He offered to bring a horse along for me next time he was out at our local riding spots so I could experience for myself. I told him only if he wears lycra and comes on a “Bike” ride with me. I don’t think he will ever take that ride, but I do think he will be able to deal with these type of situations better. Until we resolve this, or mountain bikers and horse riders have completely separate trails, we need to do our best to get along. So this is my attempt at the start of a new way of thinking. If you read this and disagree with me please let me know. But if you understand, and want to see a change, then treat the horses with respect. Be polite, and take the initiative to promoting education in your area. Imba always knows the right thing to do. Check out their rules of the trail “Specifically number 5” Or check this link out http://www.imba.com/resources/risk-management/shared-trails

Even with education, I still hate riding over fresh horse poop…….

No comments:

Post a Comment