Thursday, January 19, 2012

2 years

It has been roughly 2 years ago that I was given the rare opportunity to
join a new company. This company was re molding itself, changing it¹s
direction, and looking to re emerge as a fresh take on a bike company. I was
not joining this company as an employee, nor the CEO or some high up VP of
something or other. I was given a chance to join as a regular guy who likes
bikes and wants to share it with everyone. 2 years have passed, and
Airborne Bikes has grown. Sea Otter has come and gone as quickly as both years. Now once again it is that time of year when Airborne
opens the gates and looks for a new flight crew. I thought that I should share
my story on how I got chosen to be a member of one of the best teams in the
sport.

I don't recall everything perfectly clearly. But I do remember where I was and
why. I was sitting in a recovery room at Roanoke Memorial Hospital in
Roanoke Va. I had been awake for right around 4 days with little to no
sleep. My mind was racing after the birth of my daughter, not to mention the
nurse coming in every 30 seconds to check on my wife and new little bundle
of joy. Needless to say I was not going to sleep. The sun was still below
the horizon, and February 18th was still new. I was doing what every new
father in my situation would be doing. Surfing the web-er-net, while my poor
wife recovered from a very long and painful 4 day labor. I don¹t know what I
was looking for but I was of course reading biking websites. Pinkbike,
VitalMTB, MTBR. The usual suspects. I remember coming across a news tag
that said something about a new company looking for riders, I could be the
next one, blah blah blah. I decided to look it over. I remember reading
that getting selected would win you a chance to go to Sea Otter, a new bike,
some go pro stuff and a spot on the Flight Crew, "whatever that is.

I remember looking at my wife and the newest member of the family, Izze, and
feeling like I should give it a shot. Not much was required other than some photos, an essay, and a video if you were feeling creative. I wasn¹t, but I thought I
would write an essay. I had never been epically good at writing, but a
chance like this does not come around very often. I typed away trying to put
to words why I would be a good member of the Flight Crew, Why I deserved a
bike, and why I should be among the ones chosen to go to Sea otter. Spell
check, title, and SEND.

A few short months later I received a strange scam mail. It was from a
gentleman claiming I entered a contest to be on a bike team, and that I
needed to call him right away to chat and get the necessary paperwork out to
me. I immediately deleted that email, only to un-delete it and call my co
worker Steve over so he could read it for himself. He told me to call the
number. Before I did that I did a little homework. I looked up the company
sending the email and it seemed to check out. Next I looked the name of the
sender up and it checked out too. Well only two things to do, pinch myself
and call him up. 15 minutes later I hang up the phone and continue to pinch
myself. Yeah it was real alright. I quickly call my wife, my best friend, and
quickly lord it around the office that they were in fact looking at one of
the new members of a brand new bike team for Airborne Bikes.

The next month or so were a blur. I had to patiently wait for Sea Otter, and the chance to
meet the 9 other new members of this team that I was to be a part of.
Sitting here 2 years later remembering all of that makes me laugh. It has
been quite a ride, and one that I do not want to give up. I am planning on
completing my 2012 Flight Crew application and throwing it back in with all
of you who chose to take the opportunity. It has been an amazing time for
me. I count my inclusion in the Flight Crew as one of the top spots in my
career. I have been given opportunity¹s not many people get. I will not
make you sit through me bragging about what I have been able to do. But I
will say thank you. Thank you Jeremy, for the advice, and the good times at
Sea otter, and Snowshoe. For shedding a little light on the process of
creating bikes. And even letting me weigh in and share my views, and ideas.
"even if they are crazy". Thanks to Rick for your help in this years process
and your years of experience and knowledge you are willing to share. Thank
you to Eric. For your wise remarks, the friendship, and the free beer
when I beat you down the mountain.

Airborne is now part of my life. If I continue on the Flight Crew or go a
new way I am always going to remember my time serving them. In just 2 short
years I have seen the company grow and change. I know that Airborne will
only get bigger and better as the years pass. The super secret stuff I am
lucky enough to see is very exciting. It also validates that Airborne not
only cares what The Fight Crew has been saying but also what the public has
been calling for. I hope my story has been interesting to some of you, and
maybe even inspired some of you to give the Flight Crew a shot. It is
something you will never regret. Good Luck and I hope to see you on the
crew next year!

Flight Crew Member
Dan Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment